Before reaching out, please review our prequalification requirements.Become a Subcontractor
University of North Texas System
185,000 sq. ft.
Virtual Design & Construction
The University of North Texas at Dallas College of Law is an interior finish out of Downtown Dallas’ historic Municipal Building, a Texas landmark recognized by the National Register of Historic Places in the heart of downtown. Built-in 1914, the Municipal Building has seen several major renovations and changes in ownership over the last 100 years. The historic building is significant both for its beautiful 1914 Beaux Arts design and for the dramatic events that unfolded there in November 1963 after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Over 48 hours, accused gunman Lee Harvey Oswald was displayed to the world in unprecedented live television coverage, including his murder by Jack Ruby in the basement parking area.
The project comprises five-story and two basement interior finish-outs and an Exhibit Space on the upper basement level. The public areas of circulation on the first, second, and third floors have been restored to embody the halls of the old Municipal Building, and the central grand staircase has been restored in previously damaged/ demolished areas over time. Other historically essential areas within the building that have been either preserved or restored include Oswald’s jail cellblock, Oswald’s mugshot wall, Dallas Police Captain Fritz’s office, and the City Council Chambers.
Although this project is a historic renovation, the Law Center was a complete remodel of several spaces specifically serving the students and staff, such as two 90-seat lecture halls on the third floor and a Texas State Supreme Court mock trial courtroom in the basement. The Exhibit Space features installations that relate to the events in the Municipal Building in November 1963, as well as restorations of the police Line-Up Wall and Booking Office. Original paint colors and fixtures were restored throughout the historic spaces, and colors and materials were chosen in contemporary spaces to complement the past.