Turner Construction Company was founded in 1902 by Henry C. Turner, a devout Quaker from the eastern shore of Maryland. He enjoyed a nineteenth-century Eastern Shore upbringing, filled with crabbing, fishing, sailing, and farming, before studying engineering at Swarthmore College.
The Turner family’s roots are drawn to Baltimore by Richard Townsend Turner, an avid businessman and eventual grandfather of Turner’s founder, Henry C. (as well as the ice skating champion of Baltimore). While he found his prosperity here, he was also drawn to the rural life and purchased 180 acres in Kent County. Just a few hundred yards from the shoreline of the Chesapeake Bay, he married there and named the area Betterton.
Richard established numerous farms and more lucrative businesses for the town, including a substantial fleet for transporting materials to and from other bay ports including Baltimore. His Quaker home, known as Ellwood, became a station along the Underground Railroad.
Since the 1950’s, Turner Construction Company has been part of Baltimore’s dynamic growth, and has completed several hundred projects across the State. In 1927, Turner completed its first project in the State of Maryland, a warehouse located at Lafayette Avenue & Smallwood Street in Baltimore for the American Stores Company. More work followed in the state for GEICO, Sears, the National Institutes of Health, and the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen, still standing on Charles Street as one of Baltimore’s oldest and largest congregations.
In the early 2000’s, a fully-staffed office was formally established in Maryland which has performed work for the area’s leading institutions including:
- Johns Hopkins University
- University of Maryland Medical System
- Under Armour
- T. Rowe Price
- PNC Bank
- Morgan Stanley
- Towson University
With nearly 60 employees working from our Baltimore office and more than 700 additional staff throughout the region, Turner is dedicated to building the future of Maryland.